Play is an essential part of childhood and outdoor play areas can help children develop physically, emotionally, socially, and intellectually. Effective playground planning will provide a safe, accessible space for all children in the community to play.
Consider these five steps when planning for a playground:
- Envision the Play Area: Brainstorm the ages and abilities of the children that will use the area; the number of visitors that are expected; the color scheme; and any needed amenities such as shade and benches.
- Analyze the Site: Consider the natural topography of your site, as well as existing amenities that could benefit the playground.
- Design the Playground: Create a detailed budget and playground design that will meet the needs of the community.
- Install the Playground: Consider recruiting community volunteers to not only save money, but to create a sense of pride and ownership in the new playground.
- Enjoy and Maintain the Playground: Host a grand opening and discuss the frequency of routine maintenance checks.
For more information, please visit:
National Program for Playground Safety
Landscape Structures - Plan Your Playground